This blog is all about ...

My photo
Any idea/thought travelling through my mind, strong enough to make me sit and write all about it... Also food, my cooking, and any new foodie joints that is worth writing about.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Malleswaram station and Raghavendra Stores!

The above place in Bangalore was revealed to me when a relative was admitted in the Manipal Northside hospital two weeks back. And boy! what a revelation! :)

Just opposite to the hospital is this heavenly eat out called Raghavendra Stores. A modest little place, where these guys prefer only handling the orders for a very limited tiffin menu, ofcourse apart from the piping hot tea and coffee. (After all, what's tiffin without some traditional cutting to go along?). Though options maybe limited, this does not deter the huge crowds that come trooping along to dig into the dishes here.

THE item TO GO FOR here is the Bangalore special, solpa khaara, solpa sweet - CHOWCHOW baath. The combination of khaarabaath and kesari is just awesome. Gulp it down with the traditional tumbler of coffee, what more can you ask for! If sweet is not something of your preference, have the khaarabath with a crispy vadai, mmmmmm! I'll leave the imagination to you. The idly vada, chutney sambar combination gets quite a few takers too.

A sight to see here is the number of people flocking into this little eatout, in their Innovas and Corollas, getting huge casseroles and plastic covers, filling them up with khaarabaath and vadais and what ever else they fancy. We also have relatives from the hospital smuggling some of the delicacies and taking it to their loved ones. :D. What is the use of being admitted in Northside, when you don't experience Raghavendra stores!

4 comments:

Sleepyface said...

Oh my! were you here? for real? I spent atleast ten days in the last fourteen days very close to this place and have spent all my eating time at Raghavendra stores.

How can you not mention about the Idli Vade or Shavigebath?? Atleast for that, Hari & You have to treat me!

I'm left to wonder, is this the first mention of Raghavendra Stores in blogs? (a google search tells me this is the second)

Aparna said...

@sleepyface - wow! well looks like we just missed meeting you around there then!! :D. My personal favourite is chowchow baath :D so probably that's why more mention about that than the idly vadai. :D And I am still left to try out the shavige baath. So the treat is on!!! Our next meeting has to be there.

Sleepyface said...

yeah, we just missed meeting each other. So, when am I having chow chow bath while you have the shavige baath?

Anonymous said...

Sadly Raghaavendra Stores serves no Sambhar.But he serves dollops of Butter at extra cost and yes one can ask for gatti chutney instead of the runny chutney that is served.Yup they also sell nippattu,kodbale ,chakli etc and normally it is traded in lieu of change!