This blog is all about ...

My photo
Any idea/thought travelling through my mind, strong enough to make me sit and write all about it... Also food, my cooking, and any new foodie joints that is worth writing about.

Tuesday, October 05, 2010

A truly inspiring novel

Though this blog is not primarily about books and their reviews, this was one book which touched my heart, and I couldn't resist writing about it.

To Sir With Love

When I saw this book lying on one of the racks in the library, the enthusiasm in my father's voice, whenever he spoke to me about the movie filmed on this book, rung in my ears. I decided I should have a go at this one. And, how I loved it! Nothing but a true experience on these lines could bring out such a wonderful book.

E R Braithwaite has recounted the events in his life in a truly captivating manner. His hold on the language and the way he has worded the book is pleasing to the mind, after reading more recent authors who no longer treat language with so much importance.

The story talks about how Ricky, after a wonderful childhood and some happy years of serving the nation by being a part of the Air Force, was completely oblivious to the color discrimination that is prevalent all through England. He is suddenly thrown into civilian life and rudely discovers various difficulties that the so-called "colored" individuals face in their day-to-day life in England. It comes as a shocking discovery to him that even after being so highly educated, serving in the air force, and excelling through his life so far, he has to fight it out to even earn his daily bread. He realizes, through every road block that he faces, the fact that the English so coolly cover-up and appear as if they are not prejudiced, but when they are faced with the actual task of having to decide between a colored person, and "one of their own", their true reaction to the situation surfaces. Through all these difficulties that Ricky had to face, he handles the task of being a teacher to kids who are from a poor economic background, with so much of conviction and courage, that the book ends up making one think hard and look at life with a new meaning.

A must read.

2 comments:

Neeraja said...

I love the book and the movie too! His hope and innovative ways of reforming the kids was also quite heart-warming to me. I'm glad you liked it. You should start writing about the books you read too! :)

Aparna said...

yes you are absolutely right. being caught in a situation like that, taking the efforts to work on the kids to bring about such a huge change in them was an awesome achievement!! unbelievable actually! i am in love with the book!