This blog is all about ...

My photo
Any idea/thought travelling through my mind, strong enough to make me sit and write all about it... Also food, my cooking, and any new foodie joints that is worth writing about.

Tuesday, August 04, 2020

Kadalaparuppu Payasam

It's August, and the start of festival season. One of our first function is the annual "Avani Avittam" where the men change their sacred thread. I was tickled to hear my chitti call it the "Annual renewal of license".

The day after the men change their poonal, they need to chant the Gayatri Mantra.

Each of these days is dotted with traditional specialities offered for neivedyam. The specialities differ in different households. In our family, on the first day we prepare urad dal vadai and nei appam. The day of the Gayatri mantra chanting is characterised by a payasam.

I decided to make Kadalaparuppu payasam this time. I have tried out Semiya payasam and pal payasam many times before. However, I have never ventured into making the dal and jaggery payasam ever before. For festivals and religious functions, the dal - jaggery payasam is the one that is supposed to be offered to the Lord.

Whenever my mother made kadalaparuppu payasam, I absolutely loved it. So I quickly buzzed her for the recipe, and here it is. (Wanted to share it right when it's fresh in my mind! Just made it this morning!)


Ingredients -
Chana dal - 1/2 cup
Jaggery (broken into pieces) - 3/4 cup
Cardamom powder - A pinch
Coconut milk - 1 cup (or even more based on your taste)
A few cashews roasted in ghee.

How to make -

Roast the chana dal in a dry pan, till it gives an aroma. Don't wait till it changes colour. Once done, wash the chana dal. Pressure cook it with 2 cups of water for 3 whistles. It needs to cook very well. Once pressure releases, you need to mash it well.

In a separate pan, take the powdered jaggery, add one cup of water and let it melt. Bring it to a boil. Add the mashed chana dal into this jaggery water. Let the mixture boil till it starts to thicken to payasam consistency.

Grind coconut with water to extract one cup of coconut milk. (To extract the coconut milk - You can transfer the ground coconut onto a muslin cloth and squeeze out the coconut milk from the cloth)

Add this coconut milk to the jaggery and chana dal mixture and immediately turn of flame.

Add cardamom powder, and the cashews roasted in ghee - and your payasam is ready to be served!

It tastes divine! :)



No comments: