This blog is all about ...

My photo
Any idea/thought travelling through my mind, strong enough to make me sit and write all about it... Also food, my cooking, and any new foodie joints that is worth writing about.

Saturday, August 15, 2020

Paruppu Podi

Another one of my favourites is Paruppu Podi. I enjoy paruppu podi with hot rice and ghee, and my mom, mother in law and my chitti ensured that I always had a bottle of their hand made paruppu podi with me, so that I could use it for any quick fix meal, or sometimes even instead of the cooked tur dal in the rasam!

With lockdown firmly in place, and even if removed, the "No travel" restrictions that we have put upon ourselves has emptied all those stocked up bottles, and so there, just like everything else under the sun, I decided to try my hand at making this by myself too!!!

This time I followed a recipe by the channel - Agrahara Recipes. And I ended up with some super tasty paruppu podi, easy to make as well.

So here goes - a record for quick access -

Ingredients - 

1/3 cup urad dal

1/3 cup moong dal

1/3 cup tur dal

5 red chillies (Or as per your spice requirements)

1 tsp asafoetida

A few curry leaves

1 tsp mustard seeds

2 tsp gingelly oil

Salt to taste

Method of preparation -

Dry roast the urad dal, till it turns golden brown, keep aside. Do the same with tur dal, and then with moong dal. Make sure the colour changes and an aroma wafts for all the three dals.

Dry roast the red chillies. 

Once the dals cool down, grind them to a coarse powder. (or if you like fine powder, do a few more rounds of the mixer, and then sieve the ground powder)


Take a kadhai, heat up 2 tsps of gingelly oil, and add mustard seeds. Once they crackle, add torn curry leaves and finally add asafoetida and turn of the flame. 

Pour this tempering onto the powder, mix well. Add salt as per your taste. Mix well. Cool. Store in an air tight container.

Add this powder to steaming hot rice and have it with a dollop of ghee!!


No comments: