This blog is all about ...

My photo
Any idea/thought travelling through my mind, strong enough to make me sit and write all about it... Also food, my cooking, and any new foodie joints that is worth writing about.

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

An afternoon well spent ...

There are so many little children in this world, who are not as lucky as all of us to have had a wonderful childhood. Little children who have had to sacrifice their innocent childhood in doing tasks which are not meant for them - working as rag pickers, working in Tea stalls, and whatever not. All this, in an effort to earn a little bit of money, to support their family and to be able to eat atleast one decent meal a day. At their tender ages, these children are burdened with much much more than they can handle. They end up growing too soon and miss out on the wonderful experiences of childhood. Though they might go to school, once they are back home, what are they in for??? Again the same scenes of drunken fathers, fights, smoking, ... things which are absolutely not meant for them.


So, it was a wonderful feeling on the last sunday afternoon to see these same little kids of lesser privileged parents, enjoying themselves at an art class organized by an NGO. The kids were having a good time there - which was the main aim - to let the kids be what they are - KIDS.


They were such a curious and competitive lot. Some were quietly and keenly doing the work given to them, while some were making me do it for them!! Others were busy comparing their work with that of their friends, and making sure that their own was no less. There was a lot of running about, sharing of paint brushes, spilling of the coloured waters, and at once getting a cloth to clean the mess... all these small little things teaching them the basics of life. Ofcourse there were some petty fights, and arguments between the little ones, and it took a lot of efforts on the part of the teacher and the volunteers to try and instill into them the rights and wrongs. But isn't that the challenge? To give them the freedom of their thoughts and expressions and mould them into beautiful human beings who can take care of their lives and be independent.


Well, within no time the class got over. All of them, chattering and playing, formed small groups. Some trooped to catch a train, while some started walking home. Walking along with me, they wanted to know where I stayed and how I would go home. They invited me to their houses, and I had a difficult time convincing them that I would make it some other day. Some wanted a ride in the car when they learnt that my dad was coming to pick me. Some wanted to know whether I stayed in a bungalow, or an apartment. My my... the questions were never ending. :).


It was an afternoon well spent - with children who were so enthusiastic, and so much in awe of everything around them, and who will take on the world, if only given a chance...

3 comments:

Sleepyface said...

i just love the sunday afternoons. boy! they make the weekend count.

Guru said...

the disease of happiness well spread though!! keep spreading!! good work :)

Aparna said...

Thanks Guru!!