This blog is all about ...

My photo
Any idea/thought travelling through my mind, strong enough to make me sit and write all about it... Also food, my cooking, and any new foodie joints that is worth writing about.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Wada paav and chai ...





Just the plain thought of it makes me drool, imagine what would happen if I actually was gorging on it right now!!! Wada paav and chai is one of the most famous snack - A favourite among people in the state of Maharashtra - starting from school kids to as old as 70 year olds...

Be it for breakfast, lunch or an evening bite - Wada paav is the unconquerable leader.

College days was when I was introduced to this delicacy! Starting at a meagre Rupess 3 for a wada paav and a 2 rupees 50 paise for a cutting (this was how a half cup of tea was known as) - this was the most affordable and lip smacking eat.

What with a few pennies in hand, all of us friends had no better work than to sit at the all time favourite Gokul bhaiyya's katta and gorge on the wada paavs and a cutting each. All the while, the guys making sure that they don't miss out on any of the babes coming out of the ladies hostel, and us girls just content with each others company and enjoying the stupid jokes (:P) that the guys used to crack.

Wada paav is basically potato wada (which also has lots of coriander, ginger and garlic), stuffed in between the two folds of a buttered and toasted Paav (you could call it a burger bun), with a generous spread of ground nut chutney and onion slices. A bite of this heavenly concoction, and a sip of tea to go along ... yummmmmmmm... you need to experience it to understand what I mean here!!

Kudos to the discovery of wada paav. :). Oh how I missed it in my 3 and a half years of stay in Bangalore!! And those who haven't had a taste of this - what are you waiting for??? Get up and GO EAT ONE immediately!

Psst - An advice... I have not tasted as good a wada paav anywhere else in India. So don't take a chance and taste one outside Maharashtra!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Drooooooooolllllllll....damn you for that post...why do you have to do this to me aparna???Oh how I miss eating the Siddhivinayak Vada pav...:(...

Aparna said...

@Lalita - Dearest Lallu :). Didn't mean to upset you... Come back to India soon, we shall go wada paaving!! :). I haven't had one for ages too!!! :)

Aparna said...

@Athena - Thanks a ton!!!

Unknown said...

Yes girl...am coming...any way me planning to make some wada pav myself at home this weekend...